It’s demolition derby on Interstate 10 in El Paso.
Well, sort of… vehicles are just slamming into the walls, so much that TxDOT has been putting up orange construction barrels to warn drivers. Downtown, metal poles installed to protect pedestrians at intersections were hit — twice in one week.
So what the hell is going on? We don’t know. But when we took a look at El Paso police citation records, officers issued on average 1,000 tickets a month for people driving while using their phones in 2016, that’s around 12,000 tickets give or take for all of last year. So, maybe some people are just not paying attention?
Why else would you slam into a big wall right next to you?
Tips to avoid colliding with a wall:
- Follow posted signs, such as speed limits and work zones. Fines for moving violations in work zones can be as high as $400 if workers are present.
- Be aware of surroundings. Workers and heavy equipment may only be a few feet from passing vehicles.
- Be patient. Delays can be frustrating, but for everyone’s safety, slow down.
- Plan ahead. Leave a few minutes early or take an alternate route in order to reach your destination on time.
- Drive now, talk later. It is unlawful to use cell phones while driving in El Paso County, especially in work zones. Traffic fines double in work zones.